What To Do And What Not To Do When Dealing With Fire Damage
Sometimes unforeseen circumstances can completely change our lives. A fire in your home or place of business is one of them. It can cause extensive damage that can take a while to recover from.
However, you need to start the fire restoration process as soon as possible so you can resume life. When it comes to fire damage and restoration here are some of the things you should do and some you should avoid.
What To Do When Dealing With Fire Damage
It is important to always have a plan when it comes to such damage. Your plan will allow you to take the necessary steps to deal with fire damage and restore everything as fast as possible. Here is everything you need to do:
- Never enter the property until a professional has told you it’s safe
- Take pictures so you can have evidence of the damage
- Call your insurance agent
- Call your local restoration company such as SERVPRO
- Limit your movement inside the area of fire
- If the weather is fine then open all the windows for proper ventilation
- Throw away drinks and foods that have been left after the fire
All of this will protect you from further damage and help you restore your property as soon as possible. The best thing you can do is call a professional for restoration so they can take care of everything.
What Not To Do When Dealing With Fire Damage
It is important to know what not to do as well so that you don’t end up causing further damage. Here is a list of things you shouldn’t do when dealing with fire damage on your property:
- Don’t start cleaning everything unless your insurer has assessed everything first
- Don’t use carpets or other furniture until they have been professionally cleaned after a fire
- Don’t eat or drink anything that has been exposed to the fire
- Don’t turn on water, gas, or electricity till everything has been professionally assessed
- Don’t turn on any electronics until it has been professionally assessed
You need to give time to the professionals to handle all these aspects. This is because the residue that stays after a fire can cause a variety of health problems if you start doing everything too soon.
So, till the professional sort everything out and restore the damage this is what you should and shouldn’t do. Just make sure that you are not using the property at all until it has been assessed by an insurer and a fire restoration professional.
If you want to minimize the risk of fire on your property then you should always take preventative measures. However, if you still end up having a fire on your property then this was your complete guide to what you should and shouldn't do.
Follow these steps and you will be good to go. If you want a professional fire damage restoration company then no one does it better than SERVPRO. Feel free to get in touch with us now.